Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Mini-Reviews Round 79

I don't normally pay much attention to Equestria Daily polls, but I want you all to know I'm very disappointed in this recent result:


Characters like Vinyl or Lyra topping the poll?  Sure, whatever, I get it--not everyone can have great taste.  But How does Carrot Top get only 0.63% of the vote?  How does she rank behind Berry Punch, aka "wine joke that the show will literally never make because it's for kids"?  How does she rank behind Flitter, aka "I think she's from Hurricane Fluttershy, maybe?"?  How does she rank behind Blossomforth, aka "...Wait, which one is she, I literally don't even know which background pony she is"?  Seriously, I just googled Blossomforth, and I still don't remember where she's from.

And she still beat Carrot Top in this stupid poll.  Fandom, you disappoint me.  Whatever; short-form reviews follow, enjoy it (if you're capable of appreciating good things, which barely 100 of you apparently are).





Blackacre, by Princess Woona

Zero-ish spoiler summary:  Thirty years before the show is set, an internal dispute between the Equestrian government and the semi-autonomous Blackacre region threatens to burst into full civil war.  This is the story of dozens of different ponies, each with their own agendas, and of how intentions went both awry, and horribly right.

A few thoughts:  With its six-figure wordcount, Blackacre is quite a bit longer than most of my "casual" reading, but I had had it on my radar for a while; in any event, I found I quite enjoyed the larger part of it.  It's a rather bloodier, more cynical vision of Equestria than can be reconciled with the show (this is the source of the AU tag, rather than a specific event change), but it retains a sense of essential pony-ness, even beyond its equine trappings.  It also does a nice job of flitting between a great many characters, some of whom are the focus of only a single chapter, in the service of the larger narrative; despite the large cast, I rarely found myself at a loss for any pony's role in the story (even if, as was somewhat more common, I struggled a bit to remember their specific character).  What really bothered me, though--especially toward the end--was how important plot or character points seemingly went unresolved.  For example, the entire reason the internal debate between Canterlot and Blackacre is important is because Blackacre's territory connects Equestria's southern territories (which can grow food year-round) with the northern ones, and a hard winter is coming on.  Yet, despite the conflict between the two dragging on through spring, food issues are all but forgotten after the first third of the story.  An open story such as this can accommodate some loose threads, but this fic abandons more than a couple of story arcs, never to return to them, upon which the larger premise hinges.  The story also goes to some rather darker places than I was expecting, towards the end; as I said above, it's not a sunshine-and-lollipops story to begin with, but a few brief dips into gore and torture stuck out to me, especially since none of them had any particular payoff (that is, they weren't logical extensions of the story to that point, and weren't used as ongoing plot points).  In the end, I found that while my reading journey was often quite enjoyable, too much was forgotten or ignored for me to feel satisfied.

Recommendation:  If you don't mind a bit of military bleakness in your ponyfic, and are open to stories which introduce more than they conclude, this is definitely one to take a look at; it's consistently interesting, uses its many characters to good effect, and offers plenty of subtle (and not-so-subtle) nods to how show!Equestria came to be, some thirty years later.  If you're looking for a cohesive reading experience, though, this will probably disappoint.



Fridge Horror, by Aragon

Zero-ish spoiler summary:  Derpy and Vinyl accidentally summon an eldrich abomination, and the only way to save the universe is for Vinyl to use the magic of friendship to help Octavia.  Well, that among other, more obviously universe-saving things.

A few thoughts:  And, on the topic of that bit above the break, here's a sequel to Long Story Short, Things Went Down (which I reviewed back here) which features all of the main characters from that story except Carrot Top.  Aside from that glaring misfire, however, I enjoyed this story for pretty much the same reasons I enjoyed its predecessor: it's a story about friendship, which functions not so much as a rebuttal of the show (or worse, as something totally unaware of the show despite sharing its nominal setting) as a friendly parody.  Aragon sometimes gets a bit to meta for his own good, as when the characters lampshade various illogical happenings directly, and does dwell on shock "jokes" a bit too much for my taste (Lyra stabbing ponies is... wellt the entire joke there is "Lyra is stabbing ponies").  But for the most part the story maintains an air of nonsense-logic which gives the basically nonstop putdowns, wordplay gags, and brick jokes a breezy, irreverent charm.

Recommendation:  This isn't for readers looking for anything remotely show-tone, or with a particular aversion to crudity.  But those looking for a tightly-packed mix of punnery, deadpan snarking, and (as I put it in my review of Long Story Short) an "almost palpable glee in violating the constraints of logic" will probably enjoy it.

12 comments:

  1. Well, at least the Doctor beat "Other".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough, Carrot Top was part of the original draft, but there were way too many ponies in such a short story, and eventually I decided to trim the cast a little bit. It dragged WAY too much otherwise.

    But hey, Bon Bon went away too, so at least you have that? Not going to lie -- Carrot Top seems to be really underappreciated in the fandom. When I wrote "Long Story Short" a lot of people mentioned how surprising it was that I included her among the "big six" background ponies.

    Which is pretty weird. When the fandom started, Carrot Top and Derpy were a really prominent duo, weren't they? "I emptied your fridge" and all that. Time Turner (or "Doctor Whoof/Whooves" I guess) kind of stole Carrot's role, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bon-Bon's name at least got mentioned a couple of times; poor Carrot Top was left out entirely!

      Probably because she was in prison or something, knowing your take on her character, but still. And yeah, it seems like "Carrot Top is Derpy's best friend/roommate" still gets used occasionally, but not nearly is much as it once did.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you hitched your wagon to the wrong pony, son. Carrothorse was born to lose, that's what makes her so great. :V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blossomforth is the pony that has too much flexibility in Hurricane Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash walks by and comments on her when she's twisted up like a pretzel in the foreground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blossomforth is one of the main characters in "Life and Times of a Winning Pony". Her popularity certainly comes from that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (and @ juggy) That's right, I knew I knew the name from somewhere. Thanks for reminding me why I should remember her her.

      Still, flexibility and "being not-Cloudkicker" are in no way grounds for leapfrogging Carrot Top.

      Delete
  6. Carrot Top/Golden Harvest is one of the few background ponies who has a definite (and visually unique) house, inspired a great song (Beyond Her Garden), and who is in a ton of fan art and fic... and she's last? Weird. I'll bet it's the result of the poll's only-pick-one nature. If people had to rank their picks in order of preference, I'm sure she'd be higher in the rankings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking. She's like apple pie

      Delete
  7. Carrot Top is a pony who could reasonably have a speaking role, either working with or as a rival to her neighbor Applejack. Fortunately, there are plenty of stories with her on FIMFiction.

    She did sing "Cause tomorrow spring is here" and "It's just so much to do" in the chorus in Winter Wrap-Up, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least Carrot Top got on the poll! Not even a mention of Lucky, the jack of all trades, S.O.-of-a-storyboard-artist's-in-show-ponysona, all around best and most monochromest pony out there.

    I guess it just goes to show that there's no atrocity too unjust for the world of magical pastel pony princesses these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No sign of either Sassaflash or Caramel on there, despite their highly unusual status as a canon couple. Sometimes I don't understand this fandom. Thank goodness for Integration!

    ReplyDelete